Sunday, July 24, 2005

Beer Not Afraid!

Here's a very rational account of one Dave Taurus's experience when the Tube he was on blew up on 7/7. Read all about it here. Then he kindly invites us all to the local pub for a pint to shout down the darkness. If we stay sober, the terrorists win! He uses the c-word, but in that charming English way. I will use it later in that filthy American way.

The hardest thing for me to believe in all this is not that it happened...(Dan and I have discussed many times my puzzlement as why it hasn't happened here yet) and not that it happened again(thank god for inept bomb makers), but the biggest surprise for me was the London cops chasing down, knocking down and shooting an un-armed and innocent man while the man was on the ground in the tube station.

This behaviour is what one would expect from the Chicago Po-lice. Every once in a while the Chicago Po-lice take out a full page ad in the local newspapers, to tell us how to behave if stopped and questioned by one of these nervous and trigger happy morons. Stay in your car. Keep you hands in plain view. Don't even look at them... Chicago Cops are America's Happy Fun Balls! A couple of weeks ago a highly regarded(by his congregation)and powerful minister had his car stopped by a Chicago policeman. The reverend made the silly mistake of getting out of his chauffered car to see what the officer wanted. He was greeted by racial epithets(not just swearing, like the article says) and a gun stuck right up in his grill. Here's the story.

I hope every one of the bobbies involved in this very cold blooded shooting gets prosecuted and jailed for pre-meditated murder in the 1st degree. But they won't be, they'll get off scott free.



SPEAKING OF CUNTS....

I left work early on Thursday, July 14th, as I had to go to an appointment in Algonquin. In order to get there the quickest, I had to get to I-90. In order to do so, I took Dempster straight west. I arrived at the scene of one of the most horrendous auto accidents I've ever seen.
The three short intersections by the Skokie Swift were completely blocked off, and surrounded by yellow police tape. I could see 2 cars flipped upside down in the middle of the intersection. The accident had happened fairly recently, as there was no traffic back-up on Dempster, east or west bound, and there still was a large crowd of witnesses or gawkers standing around. I could tell by the amount and presense of police tape that it probably was fatal. I finally got around to doing some research on the accident, and here is what I found. A young woman has a fight with her mother or boyfriend, becomes suicidal, and races through the closely spaced intersections @ 70 MPH until she rear-ends a car sitting at a stop-light. 3 people killed, 2 injured. She broke her foot. The deceased were all Chicago musicians, on their lunchbreaks from their day jobs at Shure in Niles, one of whom I knew tangentially. She issued an apology. Mighty big of her.

The notoriously abrasive, smart and talented Steve Albini wrote a tribute (you'll have to print it out to read it) to one of the men. Didn't know you had it in you Steve. Well, actually I did...

I am against the death penalty. In Illinois, it hasn't worked out so good, what with the freeing of 17 innocent men from death row. This idiot is charged with triple homicide, so my proscription for punishment for her is: Fasten her inside a car, and take it out to a safety-test range where they test cars for crash worthiness. Have them use one of their battering rams, and slam it into the car door nearest to where she sits @ 70 MPH. The attendance of her friends and family to this event would be forced. If she lives, she lives. If not, oh well.

I thought the whole idea of suicide was that you didn't take anyone with you? I'm not talking suicide bombers, or Klebold and Harris. I'm talking the actual, old fashioned type that you do all by yourself, and only to yourself in the loneliest hour of the very darkest night of your soul.

I'm stuck in the house because of the heat, and this has given me time to type about topical stuff, which I have decided I'm not very good at.

Southern Dyscomfort...
Here's a story for you...fresh from the Straight Dope message boards. Anyone who is from the south will understand, and, as one poster put it...It's Tennessee Williams on Mescaline. A long a multi-partite read, but well worth it. Sampiro is our protagonist....

3 Comments:

Blogger Rusty Hinge said...

I think you're awesome at topical or whatever, and that accident sounds hellaciously pointless and sad. Howevah, naturally I must insert that if you leave a known gathering place of terror-types, you're wearing a heavy coat in 80+ degree weather, and the police yell for you to stop, and instead of explaining about your poor circulation you run down the escalator, and as they chase you yelling, you continue running and jump the turnstile and race on into the carriage of a train system where they had a recent bombing, to make sure they don't detonate your vest of plastique or give you the chance to do it, they will go for the head shot.

22:13  
Blogger Rusty Hinge said...

And know what else? That is one bitchin' tribute, and I don't think anyone could ask for better.

22:18  
Blogger April said...

Yeah, every once in a while..Steve shows he has a heart, LOL.

23:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home