Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Nothing says "Sell Out" like a runway seat at a fashion show.

I'm talking Rock Stars. I'm talking female rock stars I formerly respected caring about this crap. I'm talking male rock stars who formerly had my respect hanging out at these anorexia exhibitions picking up and later marrying the models.

Sure..they should have nice clothes..but jeez...I cannot think of anything more fleeting and shallow and ultimately useless than fashion. Anything. I want my rock stars to be a bit more of the earth than Gaultier or Donnatella Versace or Stella McCartney. Get it from a thrift store, for cry-eye. Go to Target. Or Marshall Fields.

People who know me know I never got fashion, or even anything more advanced than business casual. I don't even do THAT concept well. I am not a put together, fashion forward person. I never was comfortable wearing make-up, and never learned how to apply it. It always felt like a heavy, greasy mask. I had no make-up role models as a teen...I was fat, awkward and weird, my sister was a greaser, make-up wise (heavy black mascara, smeared, and cake-y foundation), and my mother only used lipstick. I never learned how to style my hair. I knew when I was 10 I didn't want children. I was a very good baseball player, so I hung out with guys, until the point I got interested in playing drums/bass/guitar, which (back in the day, rock star-iness was the sole province of young men) involved hanging out with guys. These guys looked at me like I was a....musician. I didn't try to attract their attention as anything other than a fellow musician. I wanted to be taken seriously. I wore loose clothing and no make-up. It made a big difference in how I was treated. That was the game I played back in the day, and it's the same one I'm playing now.

If I won the lotto, I'd pay someone to dress me.

I'm sorry to admit I'm a failure at all things outwardly femme. I just can't go there..I've tried, but you know what..I'd rather sleep 30 minutes longer than spend that time curling my hair. I really, really feel like a misfit. Maybe that's why I like "What Not To Wear" so much.

Here's a science blog I like to read.

I love Bill Moyers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home