Saturday, June 04, 2005

The street in front of my house

I have a bench on the walkway in front of my house. I like to, after a day's work, sit on the bench and read, look at my garden, look at other people looking at my garden, or just sit and watch....

Sparrows flying low and fast across the street like line-drives. Squirrels hop and skip and bounce back and forth across the street like infield ground balls. No rhthym or reason. I hold my breath every time...we feed these squirrels, and I consider some of them outdoor pets. Especially Blacky, who I haven't seen in a couple of weeks. Hope she/he is nesting. Crazy got hit and killed by a car. Crazy used to see me come out the back door and charge!!!!, in the hope of getting some peanuts. He took one out of my hand, once. I felt his whiskers on my fingers. It was nice to have a wild critter trust me that much.

The dying maple tree on the parkway filters the sunset, giving me some dappled shade and light with a greenish tint. It's actually very peaceful. The farmer down the street manured his fields again, so it's also a bit stinky, but not necessarily bad.

I don't know why the baseball metaphors came to my head...but they did. So I'm writing them. I used to be quite a baseball player until my knees messed up, whilst playing baseball, of course.

Went to a garage sale today and bought a wallet kit that had been hand tooled. It is half stitched together, too. The guy running the sale was teh gay, and very, very funny. I said to him, oh, I used to tool leather. And he said, so did my sister, then she had to switch to needlepoint. I started chuckling until the guy said...it's quite a story, and you'd need a hanky. At which point I quit chuckling and said oh so sorry.

I think I may have found a shrink. I have an appt. @ 11AM next Saturday. I am just out of control, and jumping out of my own skin with self loathing. I can deal with the self loathing, it's always been there....the out of control-ness I can't, cuz it hasn't. I 'm not a control freak, but I do like steering my own ship. And I haven't been for the last couple of years.

We had a nice thunderstorm a little while ago. I rescued a snapping turtle..it was in the street, overheated, barely alive. I gingerly put it on the library grass, pointed away from the street. I know it was trying to head to the lake to breed or lay eggs, but it would have never made it there. To move a snapping turtle you really need a net or thick leather gloves..I saw a big one break a broomstick in half with it's jaws. This one was about 6 inches across, and certainly able to take off a finger...It would be nice to go back and find it, net it, and give it a ride to the lake, and maybe I will this evening. It has cooled off and rained...I'm hoping it helped the turtile! My sis and I have a history of rescuing turtles.

The sun is out again. We're supposed to have thunderstorms on and off the next few days. We need the rain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home