Monday, May 30, 2005

Memorial Day

Well, today was Memorial Day and my little town had it's Memorial Day parade which I did not attend. There was a fly-over a few times by some WW2 military aircraft(which I love, I find them aesthetically pleasing) and they flew over my house low and slow a few times. A Beechcraft "Bamboo Bomber" AT-11 or something like that. Some Texans. Cool planes. A couple of years ago, they had a B-25 fly over...the kind of plane my dad flew in in WW2.

I went to a barbecue at my friend Laura's house. Her Uncle John was there. He's a RABID right winger. I don't discuss politics around him, because he's quite nasty about it, or so I've heard. Very nice on the surface level pleasantries, though. An amusing man. VietNam Vet.

I called my dad today and wished him happy memorial day. He was like...Ehhhhh. He has the best war stories in the world, though. I talked to mom about her failing eyesight and her continuing to drive. She swore up and down she wouldn't put hers or any other's lives in danger. Dad always writes these e-mails to me and Karla that begin..."now don't tell your mother I talked to you, but...

I planted and transplanted a whole bunch of plants this weekend. Including the CP's that needed to be planted and transplanted. Damn, they're fussy. The early plants in the front yard are blooming up a storm. Mostly Irises. Everything else is still on it's upward arc towards early summer/late summer/autumn bloom...so other than the irises, the garden is kind of quiet right now. The calm before the storm. The Baptisia Australis is beautiful. Native and it blows away every thing else in the garden at this time. It blows away all the Irises almost. It does not blow away the Iris called "Before the storm" Which is black.

the prairie, however, is ablaze in Dame's Rocket and Ox-eye Daisies. FUCK! It's so pretty! Now I have to wade into the weeds, step on new little prairie plants, and get them the hell out of there! That's the garden chore for this week..kill them before they go to seed. It's really a jarring conflict between what's pretty and what's proper. What's proper is best...it will look pretty soon enough.

The woodland garden I am finding needs to be culled of some of it's Soloman's seal and Virginia Waterleaf. And the elm-leafed goldenrod. Goodnes...they sure are happy here. I will cut off the blossoms of the waterleaf so it can't go to seed...it seeds around like crazy. The soloman's seal I will have to dig up and move, along with some bloodroot. And there is still so much weeding to do in the woodland garden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home