Sunday, October 16, 2005

Eventide..

Yes, it's Sunday evening....and I'm sitting here by myself, whch I honestly don't mind. The only light in the house is provided by the screen of my laptop....and the only sounds are dogs barking, traffic, and Canada Geese overhead.

What a high, wild and lonesome sound. I remember when i was a kid...seeing a Canada Goose, or a skein of them, was a rare thing. You put down what you were doing, and went out and looked. They brought the winter in after them, on their stubby tail feathers...they were the last tear that the gray sheet of the sky could handle. Winter just flaked down from their path. Since Canada Geese are so common now, thanks to the decimation of their real environment, their cockroach-like ability to adapt and office workers who feed them bread and hot dogs...I have switched my high and wild allegience to Sandhill Cranes. They are my untamed things. And they cannot and will not eat hot dogs or bread and make their nests in retention ponds.

Now Dan is home...and every light in the house is on. And the TV, which he claims to hate, is the first thing he turns on when he get home at night. He likes the light, I like the dark. This causes a bit of trouble, especially at bed time.

But the leaves on the sugar maples turn bright red and drift down, silently.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home